POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another failed render (~300 KB) : Re: Another failed render (~300 KB) Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:32:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another failed render (~300 KB)
From: Tek
Date: 7 Oct 2006 09:35:38
Message: <4527ad2a@news.povray.org>
Well I have a few suggestions:

1/ a perfect cube always looks very fake, use a slightly irregular shape
like a superellipsoid or isosurface

2/ it's easy to say this after the fact, but the human eye is extremely
forgiving of reflections in bumpy surfaces, so you really shouldn't worry
about making a complex sky, just something flat that has the right colours.
But it sounds like you learnt this the hard way.

3/ think about the size of the ripples regarding the scale of your scene,
these ones are huge but smooth (particularly in the last image). Smooth
usually means very small ripples, which would make the stone block about 1cm
big! I'd suggest use much much smaller ripples, so the surface is nearly
flat. if you want a dramatically wavey surface for this scale you need
something less smooth, the wrinkles pattern is sometimes pretty good for
this, or granite (inverted to make spikey waves).

4/ water material - a physically correct water is simply: pigment{rgbt
1}finish{reflection{0,1 fresnel}}interior{ior 1.33 fade_colour ...
fade_power 2 fade_distance ...}, there's a lot of tweaks you can do but that
should get you something good. Basically it's transparent, refractive, the
reflections obey fresnel so there's no need to tweak them, and if you want
to colour it you should use fade_colour not pigment because the colour
should be throughout the material not just at the surface.

5/ stone material - always reference a real material, in your present scene
I can't tell if it's meant to be a polished stone like marble, or a more
natural rough finish. A realistic rough finish is easier: just give it a
noisy normal, like normal { granite -.2 }, and no specular or phong. A
realistic smooth finish is difficult because smooth things look fake in CG,
I'd suggest choosing a stone with a very distinctive pattern, like marble or
something. And on that topic note that pov's granite pattern looks more like
marble than the marble pattern...

6/ use global_settings { assumed_gamma 1 }, it screws up all the colours in
the scene so you'll need to adjust them, but it make reflections and
lighting look more realistic.

Hope that's helpful and not patronising :)

I'd be happy to knock together an example scene of how I'd do it if you
think it would help?
--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com